Many children, perhaps your own, exhibit difficulty processing sensory information including: touch, taste, smell, vision, and hearing. As many as 5% of the school age population exhibit characteristics of sensory processing disorder (SPD), sometimes known as sensory integration disorder.
Further, many children with autism, ADHD (attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder), learning disabilities have SPD coexisting or underlying these conditions. Research has shown that as many as 40% of children with ADHD display symptoms of SPD.
If you are a parent of a child with special needs, perhaps you are struggling with the added stresses this can have on the family.
- Your family relationships may be affected.
- Siblings may be envious of the extra attention provided to the child with special needs.
- Mothers may feel that fathers are not involved.
- Fathers may feel unfairly blamed, when in their opinion, they are struggling to support the family.
- Extended relatives, while intending to provide support, may instead offer conflicting advice, or just not understand the needs of the child and the family.
- An already tight family budget may be stretched even greater to cover the added expenses associated with providing the best possible care for the child with special needs, and the family as a whole.
Only by sharing information and working together can we have adequate recognition and support for those impacted by SPD. Search the internet. Resources exist on the internet through non-proft foundations, and parent connections groups. It is my hope that all children grow up with the courage and wisdom to share their natural talents for the betterment of the world,
...express understanding and respect for humanity
...appreciate and extend the work done by previous generations of people.
Christopher R. Auer, MA is the author of Parenting a Child with Sensory Processing Disorder: A Family Guide to Understanding and Supporting Your Sensory Sensitive Child (New Harbinger, 2006) Additional information at http://www.spdresources.com or email email@example.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Christopher_Auer